Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Final Artist Response Project

Art Piece:
Throughout the semester, I focused on the artist Oskar Schlemmer. Schlemmer was a German painter, sculptor, designer and choreographer associated with the Bauhaus school that was located in Germany and focused on fine arts. He was strongly influenced by cubism and abstraction. Although he did have a number of physical works, Schlemmer was most well known for his choreography. He worked at the Bauhaus school, and was surrounded by ballerinas and students studying dance. Because of this, he was heavily influenced by ballet.

In order to contemporize his work, I found a video of a ballerina on the Internet. I then paused the video to isolate separate frames, and layered them on top of each other. I then created the background of the piece, utilizing triangles and a monochromatic color scheme. A number of Schlemmer’s works use a pink and grey color scheme, reflective of his love for ballet.

The denotative meaning that can be drawn from my project is that ballerinas do not hold one shape, and this cannot be communicated through a two dimensional surface. The connotative and ideological meanings that can be drawn from my project are that Oskar Schlemmer’s ballet and cubism influences shaped his artwork to reflect these two things, and in result shaped my artwork to commemorate him.

Reflection:

Looking back on the semester, I really enjoyed the work that we did. Going into it  I was nervous that I have no artistic abilities, but for the work that we actually did, artistic talent was not completely necessary.  I am glad that we learned how to identify so many different aspects of a piece of artwork. From this class I will definitely use my new knowledge of Photoshop. I have needed to use it for a number of classes, and have always struggled but now feel much more confident in it. This class could be better if we had more time in class to work on projects. I found myself struggling to get things in on time and spent a lot of time outside of class working on projects without the proper resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment